Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Hostel 101: A Guide for the Misinformed American Traveler

I’m not inherently wealthy, so a lot of people wonder how in the world I manage to afford to travel as often as I do. There are all kinds of practical budget tips and discount sites I’ve stumbled upon to make travel more affordable, but the biggest asset that I have discovered in the last few years is the hostel.

Though hostels are a very common style of accommodations in Europe and other areas of the world, few Americans are even familiar with the concept. I have benefited greatly from their availability in regions where I would have been priced out of the hotel market, so I wanted to take the opportunity to dispel some of the common misconceptions that might be keeping other adventure-hungry individuals from realizing their full travel potential!

Myth #1: Hostels are a European concept and are not available in the US
I was amazed to discover just how many hostels there are within the US, especially in larger cities. Hostels such as those in New York and Chicago range from buildings that cover an entire city block and have occupancy available for several hundred travelers at a time, to houses that have been converted into more cozy accommodations.  To see if there is a hostel available in your next travel destination, one of my favorite sites is HostelWorld.com It works in a very similar style to Hotels.com in that it allows travelers who have stayed to leave comments and reviews on the property so you have a more realistic view of what to expect and can make an informed decision as to what location will best fit your needs.   

Myth #2: Hostels within the US are for foreign travelers only
You will want to verify the policies of the particular hostel you are looking to stay in because these rules do vary, but many hostels will gladly accept US residents as long as your place of residence is far enough away according to the hostel’s guidelines. One of the larger organizations, Hostelling International consistently accommodates US residents as long as you live outside of the state of your destination.

Myth #3: Hostels are not safe

Ok, Seriously people. It was just a movie!!!

When I discuss my travels with a new person and mention hostels, inevitably, the first thing they bring up is the 2005 horror film Hostel. I’m a bit annoyed that this one unfortunate movie (or two if anyone actually saw the sequel) has caused so many people to dismiss this very practical concept as something dangerous and frightening.

Remember summer camp as a kid? Remember your freshman year of college in the dorms? This is the type of arrangement that you’ll be getting yourself into:


NOT this:




Honestly, the scariest thing I have ever encountered at a hostel is not having an outlet close enough to my bunk to charge my phone…



Myth #4: It’s really awkward to share a room with strangers

You’ll be surprised by how quickly you can acclimate to the situation. Keep in mind that most travelers are in the same boat as you. They are strangers in an unfamiliar area who probably don’t know anyone locally. Remember when Mom used to tell you not to be afraid of insects because they are more scared of you than you are of them? This is often the case with your bunk mates as well; except I’ve never met a fellow-traveler that I had to concern myself with the potentials of poisonous venom… At least not that I know of.

Some people assume that sharing sleeping quarters with strangers as opposed to staying in a private hotel room would be risky. But my argument to this is that you actually have added safety in numbers. Think about it… If someone breaks into your hotel room while you are by yourself, who is going to save you? Even if you scream, your neighbors will more than likely assume something raunchy is going on through the walls rather than take the initiative to investigate… But in a hostel, with 4-10 beds in the average room, who is going to try to attack you with that many witnesses?

In all seriousness though, and I can’t stress this enough— Hostels take great care to ensure the safety of their guests. Safe, affordable accommodations that give the average person an opportunity to see the world is pretty much the whole idea. In facilities where I have stayed, there are key-card access points to even get to a floor where guest rooms are located and also 24 hr supervision of the front desk next to the only entrance. Men’s and women’s dorms are usually kept separate, though for mixed groups many will have co-ed accommodations also available.  

Myth #5: Hostels are only appropriate when traveling in large groups
If you are traveling with a group of 4 or more individuals, then hostels may very well be your best option. Many locations will have more private rooms available for groups traveling together. But the reason that I loooove hostels is that they are IDEAL for the solo traveler. If you are like me and too anxious to get out into the world to wait on friends who have the time & money to accompany you, a hostel provides you with controlled opportunities to meet other travelers to hang out with. Most hostels host cheap or even free tours, as well as pub crawls, barbeques, and movie or game nights to give you a chance to interact with others. And since you won’t have anyone to split the cost of a hotel room with, it will almost certainly be your cheapest option.

Myth #6: Only hippies stay in hostels
It’s true that the laid-back, free spirits of the world tend to be drawn to the hostelling experience & chances are you will encounter some granola types. But if that isn’t your scene, fear not. In my stays at hostels I have encountered people of all different kinds, including students, internationals, and business travelers. In my opinion, the variety of people you’ll get to know is what gives travel it’s richness and makes the experience memorable.

This is just the start to my blog series on hostelling. I'd love to know what other questions you all may have, or if you would like to contribute a hosteling experience of your own, please contact me at BrkFstAtTiffs@gmail.com!

And for more information on hostelling in the US, visit my next blog:
Hostel 101: Part 2 Booking & Preparing for Your Stay

No comments:

Post a Comment